Community space in Fukushima
Clinic Renovation Project in Yabuki-machi, Fukushima, which opened in around 1920.
The building which had been familiar to local people even after the clinic was closed were damaged seriously by the Great East Japan Earthquake. However, people in the town required the building preservation and it decided that the building would be refurbished and preserved as a symbol of reconstruction and a communication space for locals. Finally it has renovated in such a way as to fuse the old and the new by applying minimum necessary labor to an existing building such as providing earthquake resisting performance and fireproofing, and arranging equipments in a water use section. This is the one of the town development and local reconstruction project cooperating with the Institute of Industrial Science, the University of Tokyo and Yabuki-machi.
Photo: Chihiro Kano